Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our transition from yep! groupies to members.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Nicky and I were about to embark on an adventure deep into yep! territory.

This event was in a conference room in the upstairs of the Brewerie, which obviously wouldn't work with our usual 'casual appearance' strategy. But, you can't lurk for too long without being a creeper, so it was time to make our move.

We got there about an hour early and decided to get some appetizers and drinks. This was my first time at Brewerie and I have mixed feelings about it. Initially, there was an overwhelming odor of musty, flooded basement. Haha, or maybe they just dredged their carpets and furnishings from the depths of Lake Erie. We moved on toward the other side of the bar and it was a little better. Is this normal or did they just experience some unfortunate event?

Brewerie fun facts:
  • Martinis are half off during happy hour on Mondays.
  • Appetizers are half off starting at 5 p.m.
  • The spinach/artichoke dip has more spinach and artichokes than butter.
  • After two drinks the sunken ship smell doesn't linger as bad.

After a few drinks and an appetizer, we moved upstairs to the event. Surprisingly, we actually sat at a table with others... and not at the tempting empty table. The three gentlemen at our table were welcoming and nice. We made small talk until the presentation began. The president, vice-president, and membership chair all spoke briefly about the organization's purpose and upcoming events. Their humor was sarcastic and they promised many booze-filled events, including a kickball tournament [!!!]. They were both welcoming and convincing, causing Nicky and I to upgrade from groupie-creepers to members. I really believe this group has more people lurking than actual members. Perhaps it is the calling of Nicky and I to spread the word and get these people out of hiding. I would say that we are basically on our way to a yep! takeover, but I don't want to get too ambitious too soon.

So, here's to my first attempt at community involvement.


Ali


UPDATE: I am now a paid member.

No comments:

Post a Comment